Step by step: how to diagnose and manage type 1 diabetes in adults in primary care
This module covers how to diagnose type 1 diabetes in primary care, and includes practical tips on using insulin, setting up an individualised care plan for your patient, and information on structured education programmes. This incorporates the 2015 NICE type 1 diabetes guideline.
After completing this module, you should be able to:
- Diagnose type 1 diabetes in primary care
- Carry out appropriate initial investigations
- Be aware of different insulin regimens and how to adjust these
- Counsel patients on using insulin, including information on sick day rules
- Advise on structured education programmes and individualised care plans for your patients
- Know when to refer patients to specialist care.
Stewart Tomlinson, Suchitra Raj
Peer reviewed by: